Here is a recipe for homemade ginger liqueur, this makes a fabulous Christmas gift. The fresh ginger taste of this liqueur shines through and can be drunk straight up, on the rocks or with a spritz of sparkling water.
2 oz of fresh ginger root
1 vanilla bean
3/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 cups of water
1 1/2 cups of vodka
- Slice the fresh ginger into small slices and split the vanilla bean through the center length-ways.
- Add the ginger and vanilla to a pot with the water and bring to a slow simmer.
- Simmer until the ginger is soft, about 20-25 minutes. Cool the mixture.
- Using a fine knife, carefully remove the zest from the orange and cut into fine strips. Add to cooled mixture.
- Strain and remove the ginger, vanilla bean and zest after 24 hours of steeping.
- Put into pretty bottles and store.